Monthly challenges for a full photography workout session
Unlock your creativity. Cameras are wonderful pieces of tech, but they're not creative.
- Does your camera have great ideas or see images for you?
- Does it recognise beautiful qualities of light and use them appropriately?
- Does it make eye catching compositions?
You and your creative thinking are the most important things in all photography, but you are often overlooked in favour of the latest upgrade or gadget. There's about 5 camera controls you need, everything else is you.
I'm an internationally recognised photographer and trainer with over 25 years experience. If you really want to dig deeper - Google me. Mike Browne and don't forget the 'E'
What do I get?
Monthly challenges that will get you thinking outside the box. They're a 'gym workout' for your creativity, seeing more beauty in the world around you and capturing it perfectly - with any camera and at any level. Live feedback / critique sessions will help and guide you to understand and be more confident with your camera and your creativity.
The most friendly, supportive and actively creative Facebook photography group, of all levels from complete beginner upwards.
Does it cost anything?
It's free to join in. All I ask is that if you find it valuable, please support us by making a small monthly donation to help cover admin costs. You can easily cancel if you choose to move on...
How do I join in?
- Make sure you don't miss new challenges and deadlines. Enter your details in the form below and I'll send you a reminder about each challenge and live feedback event
- Upload one (1) image to the relevant challenge album in the Facebook group and include the challenge # in the description
- A small voluntary donation (£3 a month) supports running costs is greatly appreciated by everyone
Current Challenge Theme: 'Heart Of The Home Is The Kitchen'
DO NOT ENTER IMAGES FROM YOUR ARCHIVE. Please complete the exercise by shooting for the challenge.
- Please add Hashtag #Heart2022 and a caption in the description of your image
- Closes: 07.08.22 @ 11:59pm [UK Time]
- Live Feedback: 11.08.22 @ 7:00pm [UK Time]
Live feedback sessions are on the YouTube channel.
Create an image which demonstrates the heart of your home is the kitchen.
It can be anything, a still life, food, cooking, pots and pans or someone just loving being in the kitchen.
This challenge is a repeat of the very 1st challenge from 2 years ago. It is a great challenge and interesting for long time group members to test their skills 2 years on.
To give you some ideas and inspiration, here are my chosen top images from that very 1st challenge...
⬆️ Examples & Ideas ⬆️
Images will be judged on the following criteria...
- adhering to the theme
- creative thinking
- use of light
- technical (exposure, image sharpness)
How creative can you be? Remember to think about light, composition, ensuring the picture is sharp and interprets the theme accurately. You must use both creative and technical skills together.
Think about how to make your image regardless of what the subject is. Look all around the frame when you compose a shot. Is there a red laundry basket in the corner? If photographing children or the warm rosy glow of friends around the table, check the room first or the moment will be lost. If photographing people, get your exposure settings in place first so you don't have to fiddle with the camera and can concentrate on them.
And have fun!
Challenges are not about winning or getting a shout out. The intention is for you to give your creativity a workout and make your head hurt a bit, like muscles after a good session in the gym. It;s about practising and growing your skills because cameras don’t take interesting, engaging pictures which make a viewer stop and look - You do.
Photography is a skill and like any skill you want to master you have to get out there and do it - a lot. How much time does a musician, sports person or chef spend trying new things, practising, getting it wrong and trying again? Photography is no different.
Struggling with any aspect of your camera skills, basic use of light and composition? I can help you with my Masterclass in Photography. And if at the end of it you think I haven’t done that, I'll give you your money back. Fair enough?
Pic Of The Month and feedback - live on YouTube
Sessions will be posted to the group a couple of days in advance so you can set a reminder...
How It Works
- ONE entry per person - Include the weekly #hashtag in the text field
- Give your image a caption which includes the challenge title
- Entries MUST be posted to designated album in the Facebook group by 23:59pm [UK Time] on the closing date of each challenge
- No archive images. Entries must be taken specifically for each challenge
Judging and feedback sessions are Live on YouTube. Dates, times and challenge themes are published on this page and in the monthly Photo Challenge email.
Enter your details in the form at the top of THIS page and I'll send you a reminder and other good stuff so you don't miss anything.
- Winners get to choose one of my individual online courses, either Masterclass or 7BB
- Runners-up receive free access to one of my sell-out webinars