Home / News / Media museum says London base given go-ahead

Media museum says London base given go-ahead

 20th May 2010

Plans for the National Media Museum (NMM) to open a base in London have been given Government approval to go ahead, a leading photography magazine has learned.

Trustees of the museum had feared for the decision on the future of the new branch, after electoral rules precluded any announcement being made during the election and uncertainty was rife over where any new government might make cut backs.

Amateur Photographer revealed in its website today, however, that a museum spokesperson had told them that the project had been approved.

The spokesperson for the Bradford-based institution said, 'We have received approval from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) for this project.'

The revelation of the news came the day after Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, told BBC's Newsnight that there was no protection on the DCMS's budgets from the expected cutbacks to be announced in the June 22 budget.

The museum spokesman said that did not dispirit them.

"We are continuing to follow our fundraising strategy which is not reliant on Government funding, so be assured we will be in touch as and when it's appropriate."

Plans for the London base, at an as-yet unidentified location, include 1,500 square metres of exhibition galleries, and boast spaces for screening, performances and the hosting of photography courses and seminars, private study rooms for students and a cafe and bar. A provisional opening date is September 2012.
 

 

PhotographyCourses.Biz